View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamone View Post

If you are driving to your viewing location, be aware that in some areas, the traffic is predicted to reach "hurricane evacuation" levels. This is especially important if your accommodation the previous night is outside of totality.
These predictions of incredible traffic jams are made before every eclipse What is your source? The anecdotal evidence I am hearing from American eclipse chasers doing outreach is that they are dismayed at the apathetic response they are getting from groups they speak to, family and friends they are trying to enthuse.

I have been to 12 totalities 3 annulars, moved by road on eclipse day or been stationary and in an elevated position to observe traffic for 10 of them. I've been in places with high traffic eg Shanghai. I have never seen any sort of traffic jam that I could absolutely associate with eclipse chaser traffic. During totality in busy traffic places, cars just turn on their lights and keep driving.

Some people think that every American is going to try to drive to the eclipse. People have done crazy calculations to see if there is enough room on the centerline for 300 million people to stand. It didn't happen in Cairns, it's not going to happen generally in the USA. Many Americans only get 2 weeks leave per year. Many others are casuals who will lose money if they take the day off.

I agree that a few larger cities just outside the path of totality might see large volumes of traffic movements over a shortish distance to the path of totality but I don't expect Armageddon style traffic jams. Only time will tell. I won't be in a position to observe traffic this time, high on a Mountain top 10000ft high in the Grand Tetons. For those of you staying here, please post any reports of bug traffic jams you hear from the news.

Joe Cali