View Single Post
Old 18-08-2019, 12:34 PM
RussellH

Well the build worked for polar alignment, but as mentioned over there in my reply, I’ve given up on running Kstars directly on the Pi. Just hangs too much and is very slow sometimes, although oddly enough, it was plate solving locally in 9 seconds, which is leaps and bounds better than online which was taking 65 seconds.

Ht I’ve spent the whole morning today getting all the astrometry setup on my Windows machine, which will be image processing workstation, so we’ll see how ANSVAR treats me tonight.

I’m also doing a clean install of OSX High Sierra on my old iMac (still an i7 with 12Gb RAM though), as it’s the machine in my bedroom, where the scope is just outside when viewing, so easy access. This machine has been running like a pig for years, taking 5 minutes to boot up and the hard drive thrashing the whole time I use it. I’ve tried many times to run cleanup routines which make no difference, so hopefully this will give it some new life. If not, OSX will be dead to me and I’ll turn it into a Linux box.

So I’m just going to run Indi Server on the Pi headless usually, unless I need at-scope adjustments, in which case I’ll vnc using my iPad. Only pain dong it this way is that I have to leave ones of my desktop machines running for the whole session. Maybe when the Pi 4 build is stable, I’ll revisit a compete Pi solution.

I’ll have to compare solving on the Mac with native Astrometry vs ANSVAR on the windows machine, as if the Mac works OK, it’ll probably be the one running all night.