View Single Post
Old 31-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Alkor88 (Peter)

I received the CGX on Monday - pretty darn good service after ordering on the Friday before from QLD.

Unpacked the boxes at work to check content and setup the tripod for a trial. Not impressed. The leg lock levers need to be banged on really hard to prevent the lower section of the leg to slip back in when load (my upper body) is applied to the mount. There was also some additional spread of the fully extended legs noticeable on a smooth concrete floor. Unlike the Nexstar mount this one has no mechanical fixing to prevent that.
Next shock came when I turned the tripod around to retract the extended legs and one slipped back into the storage position unhindered. The impact dislodged the leg tip (aluminium cast) and send it bouncing over the floor. They are only glued on with a few blobs of whatever kind of glue it is.
Would be disastrous to have that happening some place in the dark with lots of nooks and crannies for the bit to disappear in forever. Would render the mount unusable for the night or even weeks to source a replacement.
Fortunately one of our service techs saw the mishap and took the initiative.
He put two grub screws in each cap to secure it to the lower section of the leg and also placed a suitable o-ring above the leg cap to dampen any future impact should it occur again. Well done Grant!

The rest of the mount is working as expected. I should investigate to cannibalise the Nexstar mount legs which are mechanically far better executed.