View Single Post
Old 20-05-2014, 04:50 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Ivo,

I get you.

But, for all intents and purposes, the prettiness that DPP does to the files is exactly what I expect to see once an image is captured.
Of course. The trouble is this 'preview' has severely diminished your ability to make the most of the signal if you use it as your basis. You know that and I know that, but for newbies, after going straight to the brightness/contrast slider and shooting in JPEG, it's AP sin #1.

Quote:
I guess my main issue is, how to tell which one (decoder) is correct, when they all produce differing output?
The most 'correct' decoding is to dispense with the interpolation completely! There are two ways you can do that. One is to forego resolution so that 1 red and blue pixel truly correspond to 1 RGB pixel. The other is to use a method that is similar to drizzling where each pixel in the CFA/bayer filter gets exposed between different frames by shifting the scope a tiny bit. Scroll down to 'RAW images development process' on this page of the DSS website for more info.

Often though, the native resolution of DSLRs is way to high for the optics/seeing combo to record 1 unit of real detail per CCD pixel anyway (unless you do very-wide-field AP of course), so foregoing resolution is what I would typically recommend.