Thread: Scopes from USA
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2013, 01:38 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I've had thoughts of importing from the US instead of buying locally.

The main thing that has stopped me so far has been the warranty issue, however I have discovered that if you buy within the US (pick up yourself and/or ship to a US address), then ship it to Australia yourself, the warranty counts here still.

It then becomes an equation to solve, for these variables:

Local price in AUD (plus local shipping cost - usually free within Aus for the level of gear we're talking about)

vs

Price in USD + US Address Shipping cost (usually free, although if you're picking it up yourself - air fare, etc; or extra for those services that provide US addresses for you) + Shipping to Aus cost + shipping insurance + 10% GST + currency conversion costs if any.

So, that should give you an idea of the difference in cost, but it doesn't include intangibles like the "hassle factor" (as I think of it).

Personally I'd like to buy locally, but when I see things like this (as a sample, no sale prices, best Aus price I've found, "random" US sites pricing):

Code:
Item               | Aus Price | US Price
8" CGEM 800        | $4399     | $2199
9.25" CGEM 925HD   | $5499     | $3499
11" CGEM DX 1100HD | $7499     | $3699
...I start to really consider how much extra money I'm likely to spend and the significance of the "hassle factor" drops a lot.

From the above list, I'd buy locally for the 8", probably buy locally for the 9.25" (but grumble), but for the 11" seriously consider the self-import option.