Thread: Scopes from USA
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2013, 09:45 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

68 post's , and you comment like this , ? .
Thanks for the run down on importers , I apoligise if this is offensive .
Buy local , thats my vote .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ59 View Post
Lane, this topic gets brought up with monotonous regularity in the atronomy community for as long as i can recall. Nothing changes, never have and never will.

I has read countless threads across several forums over the years complaining about it.

I know other members previously in this thread have raised some questions for you but I'll ask them again for your consideration...

1. When you acquired your overseas price, was it via the vendor's automatic website? Did you confirm from an actual human being that the will definitely ship to Australia? If you simply calculated the price via the vendor's checkout, then wait until a human being intervenes in the warehouse. I have personally had orders cancelled after it wa discovered I was not in the US.

2. If your 8SE is faulty you will have no warranty support anywhere he in Australia.

3. Have you factored in 10% import GST?

4. As mentioned, if you mention the vendor there is a good chance Celestron will be advised and the vendor will be penalised (and you won't get your order).

5. As Barry said, $2400 is a pretty good price for an Australian Retailer.

6. Whilst I understand you are "outraged" over the $5199 MSRP, realistically they are being sold for $2400, so no need to get upset over a possible marketing ploy by a local retailer.

7. As a side note, this range does not have a clutch, so you cannot disengage the drive and operate the scope by hand. Are you aware of this? I only point this out because it is something that is often pointed out with the SE range. I know because I've been a part of a number of threads in forums in the US and UK which have raised this topic.