View Single Post
Old 29-03-2021, 03:56 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi
I would suggest using a distance of 20km's per year for an average car.

Bear in mind that some engines specify major work at certain intervals. My better half bought a new car rather than fork out several thousand dollars for internal engine work that was due to be done. A timing chain I think.

For access into the vehicle, and for putting the wheelchair in the back, consider a small to medium SUV.

They tend to be a bit higher off the ground, and I think have higher rooflines, possibly allowing a wheel chair to stand up in the back.

Good luck

Philip
Many timing chains are considered vehicle life time components, and should not have to be changed. Timing belts however, are considered as perishable components, as rubber polymers degrade over time, not just distance. A five year old vehicle, with only 40,000kms could well require a timing belt replacement based on age. Timing belts usually have distance replacement intervals of between 60,000 and 100,000kms..
A timing belt replacement can be an expensive service, but not near as expensive as letting it break.
I will not buy any more timing belt vehicles, my present vehicle has a life-time timing chain.

Sadly, despite the stories going around about 500,000km Troopies, no vehicles are made that way today.