View Single Post
Old 16-01-2017, 12:23 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
For travel purposes, just wondering whether there is a 'pocket' or compact camera that has a sensor that is low noise for AP in dark skies. And with a bulb setting for shutter speed?
Hi Chris,

Any choice depends on what compromises you are prepared to make for size, portability and suitability to your mount versus increased noise going to smaller camera, which will typically have a smaller sensor, with its inherently higher noise. (Yes I know some may suggest that a smaller camera doesn't always mean smaller sensor and to look at the Sony A6000/6300/6500, but by the time one adds appropriate lenses for astro, they are not the featherweights or small anymore)

Having a look it seems that you use/have used a Nikon D7100. When you say that there were challenges using a large DSLR on the SkyTracker mount, did this relate to poor tracking, possibly due to higher/excessive load? If so, and you need a lighter, low noise, but not necessarily smaller camera, then I'd recommend:

1. any of the good Interchangeable mirrorless cameras, with APS-C or micro4/3 sensors (for example: Sony A6000, A6300, A6500, Fuji XT2, Panasonic G7, G8...) with shorter focal length lenses, otherwise weight will becomes the same concern as it was with your larger DSLR). OR

2. if you want more in terms of focal length, but want to keep weight down and the cost more reasonable, then go for a smaller overall and almost (but not quite) as low noise as your D7100 , one of the better bridge cameras, such as the Panasonic FZ1000 (the newer FZ2000 doesn't add much except $) or the Sony DSC RX10 MkI, MkII or MkIII. Persoanlly I'd go for The FZ1000 as it offers a sharp 25-400mm zoom, good iso range, reasonable $ and reasonably low noise levels, which given its 1" sensor is excellent. Not quite as low noise as the D7100 with its 3 times larger APS-C sensor, but much lower noise than for example the D80.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 16-01-2017 at 12:36 PM.