View Single Post
Old 29-01-2015, 05:40 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
i prefer your shot with faint star trails best of the two. I'd have loved to be able to use my better gear and get something similar. Only got shots with a hint of a trail with what i can use.
In hindsight I don't think you need good gear to photograph the comet. The tail was very hard to get on this one. I think the best approach would have been to guide on the comet itself, from a finder or short FL scope and do 5min subs, then wait 1 or 2 minutes, then do another 5min, etc... I suspect that with 20min total integration on the tail you would get some really good SNR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
have you tried a registration of the background stars to bring them out then composite them in? so its got better context? or possibly plate solvable instead of working to isolate it. either way the comet and tail ARE the focus of the shot, so anything to keep the detail would be best, so many comet shots just have a nice comet on the horizon, but rarely do we see the fine detail up close. damn good shot, so jealous!
Yes, that's the plan. I reject the stars with a sigma combine, registering on the comet's core and that takes care of the stars. The issue is read noise. So I'm trying to find an efficient way to clean the tail from this noise before compositing it.

Last edited by multiweb; 29-01-2015 at 07:36 PM.