View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 03:49 PM
hotspur (Chris)

external power for EOS camera-advice sought

Looking for some ideas,on where,and how too's-re external power supply for EOS cameras.looking to use my Canon 450D for astrophotography use.The 50D was good.But might have had some sort of balance issues on my mount/scope.Ever since I tried the 450D-nice round stars! from the guiding.Also the 50D is my better camera,and I am earning some small return and getting some good results from my wildlife photography.Which is now my main interest,astronomy is now a secondary interest (which basically causes headaches-and I do not wish for the 50D in any situations which have minimal return or worse)

The 450D has issues-amp glow,more noise than 50D,there is also some strange artifact up along tops of images near the noise-but does not appear to be noise.Although I have heard these sort of things go away once a external power supply is used.

So in order for me to maximize my roll off roof observatory,I want to be able to gather 1.5 to 2 hrs of subs on one object during then night,and the program the camera to take 20 or more darks after this and go to bed,while it does its thing.Finally got the guiding working reasonably well.So just want to set up on an object do a imagery run and go inside and watch a movie or do some visual.And finally get the data.

What does a external power supply look like,where and how much?and any cavets.

Thanks~ Chris

Last edited by hotspur; 04-10-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling