Transprency 8/10
Viewing: 12am- 3am
Scope: 8" SW Dob

Tasks:
Test new DGM Omega OIII & NPB Filters
Use of Telrad

Tasks Achieved:
Comparison of filters
Starhopping and location of objects using degrees of separation using Telrad and Star charts
First encounter of dew!

Equipment:
Collins Stars and Planets Book
Televue 2x/3x Barlow
Plossl 40mm/25mm/17mm/10mm
Flask of Coffee

Centaurus
-----------
NGC 5129 (Omega Centauri)
Definately a favourite starter for the night.
Clear pins of light. Large ball of star luminance

NGC 5128 (Centaurus A)
Took a little while to find. Using Telrad I was able to find it 8degrees left of NGC 5129, and 8degrees above Mu Centauri.
Three times was able to locate Cent A successfully.
Using averted vision was able to see the dark lane between the galaxy glow, slighty elongated.

Carina
-------
NGC 3372 (Eta Carina Nebula)
OIII defined the nebulae beautifully. I could see dust lanes to the side and clearly see the dark channel through the center. Excellent contrast.
Nebula stood out all around.
The NPB next up. Dust lanes to the side couldn't be seen as well; not as much definition/contrast in nebula but view was much clearer.

Chameleon
-----------
NGC 3195 (Planetary Nebula)
Now this was a test! At Magnitude 11 was the highest magnitude object seen so far.
Took me a some time to find, and when I did I could just make out its faint ball shape.. The OIII clearly brought out more definition and contrast. Could just make out a slight shadow effect from center to sides using averted vision.
The NPB did not help as much as the OIII. Nebula was a little to faint to see.
Was very happy finding this one, and viewing with both filters. Definitely a highlight find for the night.

Scorpius
--------
NGC 6121 (M4)
Needed to view at 240x to see better. Reminded me of a mini Omega Cent.

Saturn
-------
at 360x, collimation was good; I could see cassini division in rings quite well when Saturn was centered in view. At 240x, view was sharp and great to watch with good eye relief whilst sipping my coffee.
Could also make out I think was Enceladus close to the planet body under the rings.
Best view of Saturn so far. Saturn is just mesmerizing to view.

Great night. Little cold 15 degrees. Winds 5km/h - 10km/h
Dob cover was covered with dew after being left on the table, and filter boxes also. My first encounter of the dreaded dew! Past few weekends has been 18-20degrees at early hours.

Notes:
Dob base turning could be smoother. Project to do list.
Plan next hunt for galaxies, planetary nebula, more clusters, double stars and new constellation objects.
Investigate new eyepieces
Prepare more detailed star charts for Telrad and starhop mapping.

Last edited by leinad; 15-03-2008 at 06:47 AM.