View Single Post
Old 17-11-2010, 07:20 AM
CraigS
Unpredictable

Hi Rolf;

Many thanks for the update.

I'm not particularly familiar with JAXA, but there doesn't seem to be any accompanying paper (in English) ..?.. Do they release scientific papers ?

This article basically re-iterates the same information they announced a few months ago, except this time we have an anonymous person's opinion that the particles are from the asteroid.

I was hoping for information about how they came to the extraterrestrial origin conclusion, the particles' composition, what formed them, discussion about the possible origin processes, what changes have they undergone since formation, do we find similar on Earth or are they different in some way, etc, etc ..

They seem to be very eager to make the claim that the probe was successful but I see no supporting scientific evidence about the particles' source.

Its a bit like trust me .. I'm the boss.

Thanks kindly for the update, much appreciated.

(Thus far however, JAXA leaves me a little frustrated - perhaps its still too early for the info I'm looking for, and its just me ..).

Wiki seems to have a tiny bit more information … it says:
Quote:
On October 7, 2010, it was announced that approximately 100 particles were collected by the sample canister, and stated that some may be cosmic materials. The particles are smaller than 0.001 millimeters. Starting in November, JAXA plans the detailed analyses of the samples by splitting each particle and examining their crystal structure at SPring-8. On 16 November 2010, JAXA confirmed that most of the particles, now estimated at 1500 particles, found in the sample canister came from Itokawa.
Cheers & Regards

Last edited by CraigS; 17-11-2010 at 07:32 AM.