View Single Post
Old 29-01-2020, 12:59 PM
Dober (Steve)

Changing primary mirror from f6 to f7, any issues

Thanks you Bojan and Alex,

My scope could not be extended easily as it is a collapsible Skywatcher so although I am confident the other mirror would be better it appears the conversion would be not something I would attempt or worthwhile with my current skill level given other things with the optic train could be affected or require fine tuning.

As you say Alex this might encourage a change in secondary to maximise any benefit the new mirror might give me, and then there is the cell.

I read about primary mirrors from premium makers that some have in their scopes but to date I have not heard people talk of premium secondary's or who supplies them. Is there a premium maker that produces a matched set, is there such a thing, or is it indeed necessary to go that far?

I would have thought that if one can see big improvements with their top of the line primary mirrors and they have quality eyepieces (Televue etc) that a basic secondary supplied with the average off the shelf scope would provide a weak link in the chain, this is of course with good collimation and seeing.

Your thoughts on my thoughts re secondary mirrors please.

In the short time I have been a member of this forum I see you both are regulars in providing advice. The open sharing of hard earned knowledge is a wonderful thing. Thanks