Thread: Nebula filters
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 05:24 PM
pgc hunter

Certainly do not use a moon filter for looking at nebulae!

From my experience, if you are under light pollution, the Eta Carina nebula will not "smack you in the face" like the Orion Nebula as it has a lower surface brightness, i.e. its light is spread out over a larger area and it therefore appears more "dull" at the eyepiece.

Nebulae filters do enhance the appearance of the nebula quite significantly as they block the spectrum where most artificial lighting operates. I would start of with a UHC, or a DGM NPB, these are good all-round nebulae filters. The OIII is a narrower bandpass than the UHC, only letting in the oxygen lines present in planetary nebulae and many emission nebulae. This will make planetaries and some emission nebulae appear with higher contrast than with a UHC, but significantly darkens the background star field compared to the UHC. Its main use is to identify tiny and faint planetaries.

These filters come in 1.25" and 2". The 1.25" versions are 150 bucks at Bintel, the 2" ones sell for 300. Which one you need depends on the barrel diameter of your eyepieces. You can also look through Icetrade, filters often come up for sale, or place a wanted ad if you want to save some coin.

cheers