Thread: eq6 slewing
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2009, 09:49 PM
mrsnipey
Verified Astronomy Noob

Hi Brendan, I thought I'd check the exact procedure I use to re-sync my EQ6 and make sure I hadn't led you down the garden path.

Here's the exact procedure I follow to do a re-sync:

1. I do a search for an object like Canopus. This is how I set which object I want to re-centre as I couldn't figure out how to change the object once in the re-centering menu.

2. I then press '8' on the number pad, choose 'Named Star' and press the 'Enter' button.

3. I then press the up or down buttons (bottom left and right of the keypad) until the star I want is displayed. (you can do it on any type of object though)

4. I then press 'Enter' 3 times and the telescope slews to where it thinks Canopus should be.

5. I then keep pressing the 'Esc' button until I get out to the main menu. The telescope should still be tracking Canopus.

6. I then set my slewing speed to 3 (I'll explain that in a minute).

7. Then I press 'Esc' to get back to the main menu again.

8. Then I press the '0' button to identify the object the scope is looking at. It should pop up saying:

Canopus off 0.00 degrees

9. I then 'press and hold' the 'Esc' button. At first it goes back to the 'Identify' menu but if you keep the button down it changes to:

'Re-centering obj Canopus'

9. I then use the arrows to center Canopus. The reason I changed the slew speed earlier is that you can't change it during the re-centering process.
I use an 8mm ep to centre the object and at a higher speed the star whooshes all over the place.

10. Once the star is centered, I press the 'Enter' button and it should go back to the main menu and you're done.

11. I then check I have re-centered it by pressing the '0' button to identify the obect I'm pointing at and it pops up with:

Canopus off by 0.00 degrees.

It sounds like a lot to do but once you've done it a few times it only takes seconds.

I should mention that I do all this after I'm happy with my alignment.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.

Denis.