Thread: 3d printers
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
@Zero There are tons of great free options for modelling objects to print and cnc mill etc. I use TinkerCAD and Lightwave 3D (not free but I've been using for years), AutoDesk has a bunch of stuff "free" to "students and enthusiasts" so you can check them out anytime fore yourself, you dont get modelling software with 3D printers, usually you get a "slicer" program which takes your built 3D model and outputs the commands to control the printer to build it.

Hi Sil,
Been checking those out but I still don't see anything I'd want to print. My interest is in building new components for scopes , bikes etc. Most of the stuff I see is just another variation on a phone holder or some wee sculpted critter.
I need to get my head around using 3D design software to build eg Scope truss brackets or focuser components. I don't do model planes, rockets, robotics, drones or whatever so no desire to go there. I want stuff I can actually use and cannot be fabricated easily any other way. At present the Lathe\mill manages most of this.
But I'll keep looking and checking just to see if something changes my mind.. Must be a good reason somewhere. If and when then I'll be in like Flynn..