View Single Post
Old 26-10-2018, 05:45 PM
gregbradley

[QUOTE=Andy01;1401884]Cheers Greg- Exposure length appears to be largely guesswork for me in my recent forays into LRGB imaging.
I remember Ray (Shiraz) posted a conplex formula to define exposure times a while back but it went way over my head.
I’ll trial shorter exposures next time, with my 8300 chip- but I don’t want to be caught out mucking about under precious dark sky time for too long!
I wonder if folks here just do a ddp stretch or a more considered process of levels & curves prestretching when processing?

Short exposure stacked images suits cameras with very low read noise like these CMOS ASI ZWO cameras. CCD cameras require longer exposures.

Also I would argue that exposure length is more determined by your mounts tracking accuracy than anything. Start doing too long and stars can get eggy.

My comment really was only to keep an eye on exposure length if you are getting too much haloing around brighter stars. Its one factor you can control. But I don't see much haloing in your image and neither do I see issues with the many fine 8300 images around.

The Sony 694, 814 sensors are starting to get very low well depth so it potentially is more of an issue. Again I think it depends on your scope and perhaps your processing workflow as I don't see the halo issue with Mike's use of that camera sensor compared to what I was getting.

Greg.