View Single Post
Old 19-04-2020, 07:17 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Nice Reports.

I haven't observed these in some time, but did spend some time on them several years ago. My eyes and motivation are deteriorating as the years advance.

A3627 of course is designated the "Norma Cluster" but actually sits in TrA and borders Norma. I spent a couple of hours on this about 5 years ago with Steve Gottlieb at an Ozsky event using the 30" SDM. Lots of members and lots more bright background stars.

At one time in a former life, about 12 or 13 years ago (when my eyes worked nearly as good as Andrews), Andrew Murrell and I took the 25" Obsession out to Shane Supple's place at Bucketty and spent every available weekend night, over several months, observing Abell Clusters, Arp Galaxies and Palomar Globs. That covered many dusk to dawn sessions. If the target was brighter than Mag 10, the telescope wasn't allowed to be aimed near it. A1656 is one of my Fav Abell Clusters being nestled in such a rich field in Coma, with so many background galaxies. A 3526 in Centaurus is probably my overall favourite Abell Cluster as it contains several bright members visible in small telescopes. I can get a good number of those in my 10" SDM from my back lawn. Of course a large telescope and dark skies brings a whole lot more into view.

Cheers
John B