View Single Post
Old 20-10-2008, 11:24 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are you shooting through?
Shooting through... software or optics?

At the moment, the camera is just sitting on the desk next to the PC The 350D I use with my Megrez 80 (original SD variety) and wide field stuff with L lenses. In years gone I have used it with my old XP laptop using a RS232 camera control cable.

Software - used to use DLSRFocus which no longer works (Vista) so am considering Images Plus once I get the basics going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Roger,

Whilst I don't use the DSUSB (do use the DPUSB, though), I have had similar issues using DSLR Focus. With the data USB cable from the laptop to the camera and a home-made serial cable (USB-to-serial adapter-to-headphone jack) for the shutter release control.

I found that I had to sometimes use a different USB port for the serial release cable, and, ensured that DSLR Focus had the right COM port associated with it that was found through the Device Manager (advanced properties for USB-to-serial device).

Also, just double check which type of communications mode your camera is in. I think it's found in the last menu.

I'm sure you've tried these ideas already -- just thinking out loud. These are the worst problems as they're temporal -- you'll try again tomorrow and everything will just work.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Humayun
Thanks for the thinking out loud... it's more often than not something obvious.

Using USB rather that RS232 I don't think I have any port selection to make? DSLRFocus in particular I have given up on as it doesn't connect to the 350D as I think DSLRFocus is not compatible with Vista.

I have tried the DBUSB on one USB port and the 350D on the other, and both on a powered hub out of one of those ports. I tried a non-powered hub too and that plain didn't work.

The 350D is in "PC" communications mode. That was my first problem, I had it in PTP but I managed to get that sorted

So just to clarify my situation, i have two USB plugs coming out of the PC, one to the camera and one to the DBUSB. I then have the two wire cable going from DBUSB to the 350D. The camera is reconised by the PC when I plug it in, as is the DBUSB reconised by the PC.

Thanks everyone, I wll continue efforts tonight when I get home.

Roger.