View Single Post
Old 23-09-2018, 04:46 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

DIY light shield

I image from our side yard at home. This means whenever someone has a shower or goes to the loo, I get a lovely illuminated imaging area...and if I am pointing south-east, it goes right down the scope! I could put a sheet up over the windows, but why not also help prevent dew some too.

So, instead of buying something generic, I rolled (literally) my own.

Went to Bunnings, and bought a roll of self-adhesive EVA foam. It's about 2mm thick, and about 180mm wide by 1 metre long. Enough for a couple refractor ones. I also bought a roll of the VERY thin velour/felt self-adhesive flocking they also sell (in the aisle under the magnets, oddly!). It is really quite dark and VERY thin (much thinnner than the garbage sold in Spotlight stores etc, and MUCH blacker).

Test rolled the EVA, marked it with a 1/2" overlap, and cut it. Measured out the felt, and cut it too (coming to the 1/2" short line). Peeled off both adhesive covers, and carefully laid them down together - you get ONE shot at this!!!.

Then took it back to the scope, and rolled it around and joined it. Done! You can slide it into position, then down the the not-deployed position, leaving it on the scope in storage etc. It is also really quite dark inside!

1. extended
2. retracted
3. inside the lightshield, extended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (lights1.jpg)
66.6 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (lights2.jpg)
62.0 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (lights3.jpg)
50.0 KB58 views