View Single Post
Old 30-04-2018, 07:20 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

my error

Well Folks,

A case of usual new owner panic. I had to send this message to Lucas about tracking and drift alignment.

As far as I can see your mount is performing flawlessly. As you probably suspected user error. Perhaps a little explanation might help. I first installed a Syntra mount on my permanent pier about four years ago,did Syntra's 3 point alignment and polar alignment followed by DARV drift alignment. Then every couple of months I corrected for pier movement by further drift alignment and gave the matter no further thought. I did not realize how far the pier had moved over this period. So when I tried DARV with your mount the return trace of the azimuth drift was not in the picture. Slowly this problem dawned on me So I just watched the elongation of the initial point and corrected that until the return trip was visible. Last night the three drifts adjusting with your excellent east/west adjusters had no displacement visible after 2 minutes, similarly for altitude, tonight I will extend this and check it with PHD. (If your geology is OK, the pier sits on the geologically ancient Yilgarn block here in Western Australia, so clay soil up to 10 metres thick. So pier movement is always going to happen.) I am sorry to have wasted your time.

END QUOTE

The mount and the support from Lucas are both excellent.

I must open the book and read the message inside the front cover
"Don't panic"

Chris