View Single Post
Old 15-07-2018, 06:56 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Thanks for the heads up Dave!

LOTS of people have the chance to see this.

Even though the path is only 25km wide the prediction has a relatively low precision (32/100) and so all of southern Sydney is within the 1-sigma zone. In the attachment the predicted centre line is green, the path is blue and the bold and light red are the 1-sigma and 2-sigma zones. The mag 4.1 star is delta-Cetus and is at 44* elevation and 46* azimuth, about 10 degrees above a third-quarter moon. I think the latter may be an issue for visual observers under hazzy skies but should not be an issue for any sort of scope or bino.

I'll be using a video camera with time stamp but I imagine any sort of observation, visual or any form of recording might potentially be useful - even if timings are only of duration. It can all help map the size and shape of the asteroid. And who knows, someone off the main path may record a small secondary body - it's happened a few times before. People with video or CCDs may even find a dust ring, like the discovery recently reported in S&T.

I think that, for an astronomer, 3am on a Sunday morning is a perfectly civilised time so I hope for lots of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Path-overview-scaled.jpg)
62.7 KB229 views