View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 02:05 AM
Protiotype (Ray)

Just a bit over a week until I "leave Australia"! This will be a big one for me - my first overseas trip since 1997 when I was a kid.

I'll be visiting Seattle, Portland as well as San Francisco (...plus Auckland from the air) and plan to view the eclipse from around Madras, Oregon. I was clouded out for Cairns 2012 due to a combination of having family about and me not wanting to drag us up the range so early in the morning, so this one will have a few backup plans on hand.

My other plans are to cycle around to explore those three towns - I was initially only going to transit in SFO, but United Airlines pushed me to a later flight that couldn't connect me with AirNZ at SFO with everyone escaping Portland on the 22nd, so I'm rolling with it. I'll also visit the Museum of Flight and Boeing factory in Seattle.

Gear that I'll be using will be eclipse glasses (none with B. Ralph Chou's new ISO 12312-2:2015 standard, but they have all the other existing standards in place and are in good condition, especially the two I bought in April) for the partial phases. I'll also use a Celestron Nature DX 8x42 binocular that I purchased a few weeks ago for the corona during totality only (I won't mess around with filters).

Being all too familiar with non-corona observation of the surroundings from Cairns 2012, I know what I'll be focusing on but will also see if I notice any shadow bands in the minute before and after totality. I'll let my smartphone record video of my group in 4k on a tripod for most of it and will make sure I don't get distracted from the main show.

I'll be keeping an eye on weather.gov as well as aviationweather.gov - METAR being my favourite tool for regular cloud reports.

Apart from aiming to do my best to get in the right place at the right time (feels like a rocket launch), I'll keep it relatively simple.