View Single Post
Old 14-11-2011, 03:12 PM
plugger (Andrew)

Autoguiding advice

Hello all,

I'm about to take the plunge and buy an autoguider. I'm leaning pretty heavy towards the miniguider path, specifically the Orion Magnificent Mini Autoguider package or a KWIQ Guider package. That said I'm not opposed to buying a Orion Awesome Autoguider package. Any comments?

I plan to utilise the guider on an NEQ6 mount. I'll be swapping scopes between a Celestron C8 and a Megrez 90 dependent on target selection. Initially I'll be using a DSLR or webcam for imaging but I do plan on upgrading to a dedicated CCD in the near future.

Basically I'm curious about any experiences you all have had with this type of setup. Will flexure issues come into play with the standard "finderscope" mount that comes with the miniguider packages? Should I instead look to get a set of rings to hold the unit? Would a side by side mounting plate be a benefit or would it add to flexure issues?

I look forward to your responses. Also, if someone wants to take up the argument as to why I should go down an OAG path instead of have a secondary dedicated guide scope please feel free to share your thoughts.