View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 07:04 AM
gregbradley

You might have to suffer through some theory here.

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=c...atid=23&id=226

I think in practice though you will simply pick a mode that matches your type of image.

With the ASI183M I simplified it to gain 53 for LRGB imaging and 300 second exposures at -10C (the camera would do -25C but unlikely to do that in summer).

I used gain 111 for narrowband and 600 second exposures. I did not touch the offset.

Whatever that translates to in QHY settings I don't know yet but I am like you new to QHY and I have 2 QHY cameras shipping to me so I need to study up on it myself. I can share what I find with you.

I think basically I will be using it similarly with 2 main settings. The LRGB setting and the narrowband imaging setting.

Think of gain as ISO on your camera (these are camera sensors being used). Too high a gain will reduce your dynamic range and reduce read noise but it also reduces the full well depth which is how many electrons can a single pixel hold before its full. Too low a full well depth will mean in astrophotography that your stars will overexpose too quickly, will become bloated and lose colour data. I see this often in CMOS images that start to look like many DSLR images where all the stars are white and featureless and a bit bloated.

This is one area CCD seems to hold an advantage. Star colours are more easily protected and CCD images tend to have more colourful stars. Flick through Astrobin images and you'll start to be able to pick which are CMOS and which are CCD just on that alone, its that common.

So I would pick the mode that suits best. With the QHY600m the characteristics of each read mode are listed. As I recall there is one where the read noise is low, the dynamic range is high, the full well depth is good. That would be the one to pick for general colour imaging for day to day imaging. For narrowband you would go higher gain as the signal is lower in narrowband so you are less likely to blow out highlights.

Greg.