View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Ed,
All I can offer is look if you can get Cortex Camera app for your phone. 2yr ago I was confined to a wheelchair from a stroke and had to try to find ways to enjoy my photography and astronomy in a limited way.

CortexCam essentially uses multiple video frames to create a cleaner/better single photo. Hand held I can read the security microprint clearly on a banknote. I havent gotten around to trying it on an eyepiece but you should be able to get good shots with it. I use it for 99% of my phone photography.

I havent really found anything else helpful for phone/tablet astrophotographers. There are tools to help plan shots of course, but not for taking/registration/integration of shots. I do like making panoramas with Hugin on PC and for me AutoStitch (i'm on iphone) is my app of choice for phone panoramas, it tracks the phone movement to assist in positioning shots. Maybe something like that could be used to build a moon mosaic via the eyepiece.

All I could ever find for stacking images were programs to combine exposures for effects. Nothing particularly useful I found, I would still have to move photos to PC to try to work with them.

Bit of a shame but I guess itd be a niche market for anyone to bother. I'm also stuck with an unupgradeable ios7 so I cant even upgrade my sky safari or try some of the more recent "pro" camera apps that all now require a minimum of ios8.

I don't know if you posted pics (am at work where they block most of the internet) but would be interested to see how you progress. Or if anyone else has any handy apps to help (wouldn't expect anything to replace PixInsight, but simple astrphotography shouldn't be beyond the capability of a smartphone for those patient enough ... just another tool to use when you dont have the proper gear handy).