View Single Post
Old 28-04-2016, 11:44 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool Smartphone Astrophotography.

I am sure this has been discussed before so I presume you will point me in the right direction. I have a retired HTC One smartphone that I want to use to play with astrophotography and video.

I have it mounted in a frame that has the camera looking through a 10 mm plossl eyepiece. I also have available a 6.4 mm plossl, 25 mm plossl, 2X and 3X barlows.

I will be using this on my Meade ETX 80mm 400 mm FL Goto scope for now. May try it later on my Orion XT8i Intelliscope Dob.

The ETX 80 also has a rear port that faces the objective lens. Would I be better off using that rather than the 90 degree angle?

I am not interested in alternative equipment at this time. I just want to see what I can do with this. Just playing around with what I have.

I took some basic shots of the moon as a first test. Found I had to lock the focus in order to get it in focus otherwise the camera and the telescope focus seemed to be fighting with each other. I attach two just for reference. The smaller one was taken using a 25 mm eyepiece, 16X, in the Meade ETX 80. The larger one was taken using the 10 mm, 40X, in the ETX 80. Snapshots.

If I shoot video I presume I can use stacking software on videos I may take with this smartphone camera. Any suggestions?

So, tell me what I should know, should read, etc. Tips and tricks welcome. Just having fun at this point. Nothing serious. I have this equipment laying around so I thought I might give this a try.