View Single Post
Old 24-01-2019, 08:31 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

What Wavy and I are saying, to just give a dumb "get this and that eyepiece" is to do you a disservice. It can also create a brand prejudice (in favour or against) based on ignorance or on Brand loyalty, not on optics or understanding or $$$ situation.

Understand HOW EPs and scopes work together, and you will be able to make better choices for YOUR scope and situation. This way you will be able to knowingly work through the flash spin of advertising, the ignorance displayed in many reviews (most unfortunate), and not be seduced by the cheap prices of some eyepieces that in reality will not give you what you want.

Even with expensive eyepieces, there's those that are better suited to different scopes. BIG BUCKS does not guarantee an optical match, nor a performance you seek. Don't forget your eyes are also an active element of the optical train...

There are also those inexpensive gems. But there is a lot of stuff to sort through in order to find them. And an understanding of how scopes and EPs work will not only make it easier to identify them, but may actually give you just what you want without killing the piggy bank.

If you can, do look through as many EPs AND scopes as you can so you can make sense of all Wavy and I have rabbited about. Star Parties are great for this. If getting to a Star Party isn't practical, read carefully and read a lot before laying your money down.

My own kit is a collection of EPs I've cherry picked that have performed brilliantly to my eyes. I have a variety of scopes, Newts, SCTs, Maks and refractors, and they all have different optical characteristics, so I have EPs that are excellent for those scopes, many EPs are scope specific, very few are excellent in all scopes, some are expensive and others are inexpensive gems

Alex.