View Single Post
Old 14-02-2016, 11:33 AM
ericwbenson (Eric)

Hi,
I used to simply write down the guide star coords (I was using Maxim) after the first night, and manually put the star back near the same coords night after night. It didn't have to be exact since Maxim was dithering the position anyways.

I used the Maxim Move dialog accessed from on the CCD guider pane, or the joystick controls of the G11+Gemini mount with the guider cam in a quick refresh cycle. This was back with Maxim v2. Have you already tried something to that effect?

As long as the OAG stays fixed with respect to the camera, and the camera goes on the OTA about the same, no problem. I made cylindrical position angle markers by sticking a paper strip with pencil markings on the focuser, this was before getting a rotator.

Of course automation software will do this better without human intervention, but does require more software setup/complexity. (Disclosure: I'm using ACP expert to do remote imaging without any intervention, I don't even turn on/off the equipment or software! That required a lot of system setup to say the least...)

EB