View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbroz View Post
Thanks a lot guys, it makes me feel a lot better. It should arrive later this week so I can test it out. But from your replies it looks like it will be fine.

Matt, your carbon fibre scope you built, did you build the whole thing from scratch, I mean the rocker box frame looks like aluminium but I don’t see any joins and looks professionally machine made. Do you have a thread on how you put it all together? I would love to build something like that for my next one.

Anyway thanks heaps for all your replies and reinsurance

Thank you
Daniel
Thanks Daniel, Here a thread on the scope build: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=164454 The main parts are aluminium and the excellent welding was farmed out to Andrew at Revolution Welding in Queanbeyan, whilst is can weld, I wanted the welds not to be seen.....

I spent many hours grinding and hand sanding the welds down so that they would not show once powder coated. The powder coat used on the mirror box and rocker is a special thin texture coat so the sanding had to be done thoroughly. The powder coat on the alt bearings is a heavy texture and hides any manner of sins....

I gave the primary a proper wash on the weekend so now it is all set....

So far the scope is performing very well. It holds collimation well at all angles with less than 1mm of movement of the laser dot. I haven't tested it at high magnifications yet, only 233X.

Saturday evening we had beautiful views of the Grus Quartet and the Veil Nebula and many planetary nebulae. The Suchting mirror is superb....

Getting back to your scope, the build is looking great. It is very satisfying to make your own scope and get a good first light. Looking forward to your updates..