View Single Post
Old 23-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewaldo View Post
Thanks Mental,

Yes the 12 inch is a big beast, and I'm not the biggest of fellows, but I think separating the base from scope for transport should be fine. I know the flextube goto scopes detach quite easily from the base.

But size certainly is a consideration and I think 12" is definitely the largest I can go.

The goto dob is starting to sound more attractive as it seems to be getting good reviews.

Dave.
I have the SW 12" Flex Tube Goto Dob that you are considering. One of the other BAS members as the 14" Goto version. I can move transport my 12" without any help but the 14" tends to take two people to move it with ease.

I am content with the 12" primary. It is no SDM but the mirror performs well and experienced observers have been pleased with the views on offer. The Goto system is satisfactory. Like Satchmo, I tend to 'drag' it to the target and them let the Goto system track the object.

Recently I was lucky enough to borrow some TV Ethos EP's and was able to make out the 'fried eggs' of Eta Carina. To see so much detail through those superb EP's still amazes me today. The image has been burnt into my memory and my humble EP's are no longer up to the task.