View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 07:03 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
You have got me thinking now Glen.
Going to have a go at laminating the carbon fibre sheets together to make a losmondy d type plate.(only 200mm) long + light weight for my travel scope.
Seems you can machine the carbon fibre similar to metal only the router and drill bits will dull faster. You also have to use slower feed rates as it is a hard material. Thanks for the inspiration, I'll let you know how I get on the next couple of weeks.
Great idea Darren. Yes machining it is a problem. I have used a jig saw to cut out my shapes, for both the top plate and my cooled DSLR cold finger support bracket. A fine metal saw blade worked. You must clamp the carbon fibre solidly. If your tool goes too slow it can grab, so try on a piece of scrap before you commit. I have used my Dremel tools for some detail work. For drilling use a small pilot hole first. I suggest leaving the plastic cover sheet on the carbon fibre while you cut and machine it, this protects the fine smooth finish from scratches. If your laminating sheets together, you have to rough the surfaces your joining by sanding through the clear finish and use a good boat building epoxy to join the sheets. Don't buy any old Bunnings epoxy, they are all hydroscopic and will deteriourate over time when exposed to moisture. International (aka Epiglass) HT9000 resin and hardener are what i use. You can buy it in small kits at any BCF store and most boat equipment stores like Whitworths.
BTW, get yourself some good dust masks to avoid inhaling the carbon dust, and wear gloves, i used latex gloves when handling it as the cut fibres can stick into your skin just like fibre glass filaments. Wear safety glasses. Good luck. I would like to see your Losmandy plate design.