View Single Post
Old 15-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
The problem is that even viewing sRGB images online, if the monitor is set to Adobe RGB but the browser is ignoring the monitor profile in the operating system setup, then the images look way oversaturated (and a touch too dark/contrasty as well). So I can't use my Chrome with my monitor in Adobe RGB mode, even though everything online can be assumed to be sRGB.
I'm not sure how it works in Windows, but honouring or ignoring display device profiles is a system-wide capability. The basic information flow on colour managed systems is: browser downloads tagged image, uses tagged (or embedded) profile data to interpret RGB pixel values and convert them into the system's colour connecting space (typically XIE or Lab), browser hands converted pixel value to GUI/display subsystem, there the display device's colour profile is reverse-applied and the resulting pixel values are sent to the display hardware.

Are you sure your display behaves like Adobe RGB? This may not entirely be up to the monitor, the video card will most likely contain configurable LUTs (lookup tables) to convert pixel values as well. The only way to be sure is to obtain a display profile using a colorimeter. This will cover both monitor and video card behaviour and should give you correct looking images, no matter what colour space the original image file uses.

Cheers
Steffen.