Thread: Bob's Knobs
View Single Post
Old 17-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Stu Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Ward View Post
So i've been out and bought myself a new set of knobs and springs (well getting them shipped direct from Bob)

Does anyone know if Instructions come with the springs, or where i can find out how to replace them safely ?

I have this recurring thought that i'm going to undo something and springs are going to fly out, the mirror crash to the ground and leave me sobbing in a heap on the floor !!!!!!

Stu
My set of Knobs arrived this morning, so i couldn't wait to install them when i got home. However i found a real problem

Now i'm not sure if Sywatcher have changed their design, or i have suffered from some misinformation from here

I purchased a full set :
Primary knobs
Uprated Springs
Secondary Knobs

I detached the mirror housing from my dob and then removed the mirror ( V V V carefully )
Then took the Primary adjusting screws from the base so that i could replace the weak springs, but wait a minute, there are no springs !!!!

My dob's primary springs are infact little rubber washers, but no drama i will just replace them with the springs

Next problem

The Primary adjusters' thread supplied by Bob are about 2mm wider than the screws they are supposed to replace !!!
So the Primary adjusters will not go in the base.
And as the factory screws are much shorter the springs are useless !!!

The Secondary Knobs seem fine

So i have paid around $90 for a set of Secondary adjusters.
I have informed Bob via email that there may have been a Skywatcher design change that he is unaware of.

I feel sad

Stu