View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 AM
andyc (Andy)

Thanks Dunk and Rick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Great stuff Andy! Thanks for taking the time to post that up. I'm particularly envious of your moons as I haven't been able to successfully stack/ derotate them myself. Was the cylindrical projection done with winjupos?

regards
Leigh
Hi Leigh, and thanks! The projection was indeed in Winjupos. Very cool software for a spatial scientist to use in leisure time .
Moons are a bit of a pain in WJ though, as the derotation is on the planet, not the moons. However as the moons have captured rotation, they don't turn much in an imaging session and so you can just pile images on top of one another in photoshop, centred on the moon or shadow with the right transparency (successively increasing transparency, 100, 50, 33, 25, 20, 17% etc) to stack them and sharpen. Tends to get them a little rounder and occasionally hints of detail (with my aperture). Then overlay the moon-centred stack (or shadow) on the centrepoint of the streak on the Winjupos planet stack, just enough to cover the streak, feathering the edge. If you get lazy like me, pick the best individual moon frame from the Wj subframes and merge that into the final image.