View Single Post
Old 25-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacad01 View Post
Be interested to know what the EVF is like outdoors on a bright day.
Oops, scratch that - I see the OM-D has "conventional" view finder
Hi Adam I've just gone out in to my back yard under a rather strong overhead sun with the OM-D. The back OLED screen, like any of its ilk, is plainly useless in direct strong sun. The EOS M would be impossible to shoot in these conditions. The OM-D gives you the choice of using the back screen OR/AND a "conventional" finder, in that you put your eye up to a protected light tunnel so the image isn't being viewed in direct sun. It's still an EVF - i.e. electronic, not optical. I'm getting to like it, because in really dark conditions where you can't see squat in an optical viewfinder, you can boost the electronic viewfinder's sensitivity (uses a second, separate imaging processor to the main sensor) so that dark objects a) are clearly visible in near darkness and b) are able to be instantly focus-locked. Under the strong sunlight, it's just as comfortable to view as an optical finder - one giving 100% coverage at 1.15 mag at that. You can alter the refresh rate too, up to 120Hz, if you ever experience flicker under some artificial lighting conditions. A lot of thought has gone into this camera. Apart from this deficiency, I reckon that the EOS M will have some significant features we're yet to find out about. I was at DCW in Sydney the other day and the staff mentioned that they'd see one soon and let me know their impressions.

Last edited by Omaroo; 25-07-2012 at 04:12 PM.