View Single Post
Old 16-06-2012, 08:08 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.M View Post
I dont know about the viability of these fast newts, the secondary is 90mm which is 20% of the area of the primary. So the aperture is only 160mm useable, this makes it a f3.75. It also has 45% central obstruction. I think personally I would prefer the FSQ106 with reducer that gives f3.6, I know the focal length would be shorter but I think it would be the cheaper more reliable option.
I have seen side by side comparison shots between Tak Epsilon 180 F2.8 and FSQ 106 (not with reducer).

The Epsilon shots were always less time for similar depth of shot and perhaps slightly deeper but the star sizes were always much larger and a less fine look to the images than the FSQ ones. Bottom line was the FSQ images always looked better.

The sample images of this ASA 200 though do have very fine small stars which is very appealling. So perhaps the ASA corrector is better than the Tak Epsilon one. The 7750 Euros seems way over the top for an 8 inch scope though. That would be about AUD$13,500 by the time you got it here. Surely you can do better than that for that sort of money.
You could get a Planewave CDK12 for that or an Orion Optics AG12 with money left over. Or you could get an AP140 or TEC140 with money left over for an 8300 chipped camera.

Greg.