View Single Post
Old 15-10-2014, 05:22 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Speaking entirely from a lay perspective, I would say that adding a filter-layer such as that window film would have a negative effect on your flats which would no longer be ambient light as seen through a LRGB etc filter but as seen through that filter and that film so your flat represents only that bandwidth which they both allow to pass. Can that be good?

Peter
The short answer is I don't think it matters, but I'm very open to being corrected on this.

My "lightbox' is made from an electroluminescent panel in a cardboard box. It's kind of blueish anyway and when I do my narrowband flats my Ha and SII exposures are about 5 times longer than my OIII images to get a fairly consistent white level.

Certainly when taking flats through LRGB filters the exposures will be very different lengths to get images with a count around 25k but I'm not using the flats to calibrate colour but just to eliminate gradients and dust etc.

However after seeing Ricks post I think I'll just chuck some sheets of paper over the panel and see how how much light they absorb.