View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

First results from BWM.

BWM = Bojan Widefield Mount.

A friend I have never met, Bojan, helped me out to complete a project to use an old mount from over a decade ago as the basis for a widefield set up...the rational being that the mount could be useful using short focal lengths.

Bojan offered to help when I found my motor did not work by effectively replacing the motor, board and even printed a gear wheel to take the mount to belt drive...I helped by giving him the wrong return address to which he sent the parcel twice before I realised I had given him a PO box that belongs to my father in another suburb...so finally I asked him to send the parcel to Tabulam where the post master would not send something back just because it had the wrong address..I posted the build details in DIY here if you need to see it.

Anyways here are my results from last night...Only a low number of subs and I managed a reasonable PA although I did not actually use the polemaster softeware but used the camera in Sharpcap to center things..I took so long I basically said that is good enough no more time wasting lets go

The Coal sack received the most attention...35 subs of 25 seconds and even more darks at iso 3200.

The rest are less subs (down to 16 in the case of Eta region)and I stacked them but I was convinced the clouds would beat me so I tried to get as much as possible...as it turned out it was a perfect night but I was still tied so I finished around midnight. The idea was to have the 80mm running as well but my legs were really playing up so I gave in to the discomfort and only ran the new set up.

Problems...the tripod is missing the part that you fasten to hold everything tight..its around but next time..the belt must be watched as it wanders off..a sign I have not lined things up perfect but I will add some guider things so finally the unit can crank along for hours unattended and do widefields with really long exposures.

I was really surprised how well 3200 iso went for me and although there is a lot of noise startools reduced it dramatically...I am working on ideas to dither things in a simple fashion.

Anyways here are the results. Thanks for looking in.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ice1.jpg)
211.7 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (ice2.jpg)
211.3 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (1ce3.jpg)
218.3 KB57 views
Click for full-size image (ice4.jpg)
203.0 KB57 views