View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 05:30 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

[QUOTE=gregbradley;1484532]Stunning Troy. I have seen that broad area of Ha in some Milky Way Ha shots I've done. But noone seems to have caught it so extensively.

Thanks Greg! Yes, shows up solid in 50mm FL with a full spectrum cam, but could never resolve the Vela remnant well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Wow, an extensive amount of work there Troy for a rather dramatic and red (ok, more magenta) result looka Mzing...of course you can't stop there now, this has to become a Mellinger effort now ...can you imagine? Did you use any star removal?]
Mike
Thanks Mike! Yeah - limited by the dual narrow band filter on a DSLR. Yes - that's the bleeding red Ha result (not the real pink). Went for the fluoro Ha
Yes (photoshop - select highlights, expand (+2), feather (2), filter minimum (1) two times). The stars weren't very good. I do have a version with stars in using a different filter. In this image, I hit them hard at the edges. Also used the dust n scratches thing in Photoshop in a varying amounts (diameter / threshold) with layers picking nebula detail. Might have to try that star++ thing someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Most impressive!

The very best supernova remnant in the sky is tens of times too big for our gear to fit in. You've captured it wonderfully. The very thin shock fronts are especially well captured, making us aware of the underlying 3-dimensional nature of the remnant.
One gets something of the feeling of multiple bolts of lightning coming from the Emperor's fingertips.
Thanks heaps Placidus! Even with a 6D+135mm required a load of panels. It's big alright! Got the Vela Remnant part using a longer 200mm (EF 70-200 f2.8 wide open) which paid off for that part - less chroma distortions between the OIII and Ha. The Zeiss doesn't go as well with a thick 2.5mm filter before sensor.
Dude, love Starwars! Also, the "Ancients" in Stargate! I have seen some far better detailed images of the OIII action - an amazing area of sky for sure!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Incredible result Troy!
How do you find the Zeiss 135mm? I've got one that I've used once with a QHY163M but I've long contemplated using with the ASI094. The 6D does have larger pixels which helps a bit.
As Mike says, time to go a little crazy wide field
Thank you Atmos! The Zeiss does good - very sharp, but there is a LoCA thing going on too (purple halos). I would have gone the Siggy 135mm Art if that was available at the time. The 6D still holds up well - the new R6 does knock it off though by the look of the DPR studio scene at high ISO. Can't see myself changing from the CentralDS 6D anytime soon. That -20deg below ambient cooling system has worked pretty good with 28deg nights here in SE Qld trying to hit Orion. Kinda looking at a dedicated monochrome astro cam for narrow band stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Wow man, that's really something - outstanding work!
Thanks Andy!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Wow Troy, just stunning. No punches pulled there. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Rob!