View Single Post
Old 27-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really can't wait until I have time to drive out again. I have not really tried using the filter on galaxies. I think I did once at home with no real effect (worse) but I guess in the right place and the right target, it may me worth it?

I am hoping that the Bintel OIII filter I have is as good as thier UHC. I think I'll be heading 50km out NW to a friends paddock out in Haden. Last time I took the Dob out there...Holly Shmolly...The Crab Nebula was awsome!!! The sky was pristene after showers and not a hint of artifitial light anywhere. I had no filter...target was easy enough...think I used two EPs to locate it...but when I did...I could make out the fillaments of shockwaves crashing into eachother. I don't think my mates understood or saw the same thing as I did...but after seeing what a UHC can do on emission nebs (I hope that's right), I am really excited to see if OIII filters help to enhance some planetary nebs like the Crab

I did try my OIII on the Blue Planetary Neb from home last night...but understand you need a brighter target with good contrast, that my light polluted yard struggles to provide.

Glad you mentioned surfice brightness and what not LB. I'm not fully up on all that...but am learning. Found some good info on that subject pertaining to galaxy obs. Apart from learning that...I wish to properly record my seeing conditions with a number rating, but don't understand how that's done? Light pollution/seeing?

Time to get back to work...have a good one guys & thanks for the feedback.
Cheers