View Single Post
Old 13-03-2013, 09:41 AM
gregbradley

For me at least, the ultimate criteria in any camera is the image quality and for astro the high ISO low noise performance. Ergonomics, other aspects to me are secondary although nice. Astro work is really only demanding a few things from the camera. Mainly low noise at high ISO and a decent live view with magnification for focusing.

In this regard the 6D is way advanced over the 7D. The 7D is a fabulous camera but there is a 7D mark 11 just around the corner that per Canon CEO is likely to be the last pro APSc camera. Leaked specs are very very impressive though so if you don't like 6D ergonomics then perhaps hang out for the new 7D11. It will be expensive though. 6D is likely to be cheaper but 24mp and most likely great high ISO low noise performance and a host of other high end features may suit you better. So 6D versus 7D2 may be a tougher decision especially if you already love your 7D and no doubt have mainly APSc lenses which will not work on 6D (I assume).

The other advantage of 6D would be the centre focus point may focus on a bright star. Live view focusing makes that not so vital perhaps but it would be nice if a camera did that and I think 6D will.

So to my mind 6D boils down to low prices for full frame and class leading high ISO low noise. Of course Canon cameras have a big advantage in astro in that most 3rd party manufacturers/software is designed for Canon first.

The other "other" alternative, dare I say it, is mirrorless - shock/horror!

Sony Nex is probably best choice for that at present. Of those models probably the Nex 5R or 6 is the go. The new 3N may be fine as well. They are all 16.3mp Sony Exmor sensors as used in several cameras like Fuji XE1, XPro1, Nikon D7000 and probably others.

I have used my non modified Fuji XE1 in the same way as my Nikon D800E but as you may expect the Nikon was in another league. But the XE1 did pretty well. Also Nex 5/6 system is less than half the cost of a 6D.

Greg.