View Single Post
Old 28-12-2010, 11:47 AM
DJ N

QHY8L Second Light - This time no moon

Following on from my first light the other night, I decided on a bit of a “proper” imaging run last night seeing the moon was not rising until about 12:30am. I targeted Tarantula, seeing I had imaged that a few nights ago with the QHY8L albeit under 98% illuminated moon, and wanted to compare data with no moon. I ended up with 8 eight minute subs. Upon processing the images, I just cannot bring out the detail. I find that the image really seems clipped, especially when compared to the data imaged under a full moon. Any ideas why this would be the case? The only thing that comes to mind is that I was using the Hutech IDAS LPS P2 filter (as I did under the full moon). Should I be using a light pollution suppression filter with a CCD? I know when I was using my old 400D Canon, I definitely had to use the filter.

As a comparison, attached are the 2 images with a quick process........

Image 1 – Shot under 98% illuminated moon, 3 x 8min subs including bias and dark

Image 2 – Shot with no moon, 8 x 8min subs including bias, dark and flats.

As mentioned, both images were from metropolitan Adelaide with Hutech IDAS LPS P2 filter.

It is looking to be clear tonight again, so I am hoping for another try, however this time I will not use the IDAS filter. Should make for a good comparison.

Cheers,

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC2070 22Dec10 ED120 QHY8L 3x8m Full Moon.jpg)
153.9 KB259 views
Click for full-size image (NGC2070 27Dec10 ED120 QHY8L 8x8min No Moon.jpg)
84.5 KB218 views