View Single Post
Old 15-11-2020, 03:40 PM
Craig_

Your filter requirements may differ based on the unmodded Nikon D80 DSLR vs the astro camera (which isn't specified?)

I am not sure I see any point in using LRGB filters on any sort of colour camera be that astronomy OSC or a DSLR. LRGB filters are for mono cameras.

I would similarly assume that an IR Cut filter is not required on an unmodded DSLR as the sensor already includes a filter which cuts IR.

I can't comment on your proposed optical train as I'm not familar with your scope but your filter questions seem to be solving for two different cameras: you may want to use an IR cut filter imaging on an astronomy OSC, but you should not need one on a unmodded DSLR. You may need LRGB filters if the astronomy camera you refer to is mono, but if it is colour these would also be redundant.

In more general terms, you would not generally need to stack filters as you suggest here. LRGB filters should also cut UV/IR, so you do not need to use both at the same time. That said I am sure quality varies between brands so some may do a better job of cutting UV/IR than others.