View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

The best views I have ever had of Jupiter and Saturn bar none and by a long shot, were through the 10" dob of a fellow club member (and other club members also agreed it was the best they'd seen). He used a Panoptic in a Powermate for the eyepiece, and had designed and optimised the telescope as a planetary telescope using the best parts available. Only problem was that his primary mirror alone cost more than either my SCT or my 14.5" dob. Hard to buy his set-up off the shelf.

The best views of the planets I've ever seen with my telescopes is in my 14.5" dob. Only problem there was that the times that occurred were few and far between - it was always at the end of a long observing session out in the country, where the telescope had cooled down and atmosphere had become excellent.

If you want a big dob, you'll want one that you can handle, and not be a grinding exercise.

Before doing that though consider - have you actually looked at most or all of the objects listed in say SkyAtlas 2000 with your 9.25" SCT?

On the other hand, if you really wanted to pick off all the DSOs in the Large Magellanic Cloud listed in Herald Bobroff AstroAtlas, you really need something bigger than your SCT.
Regards,
Renato