Thread: Double Cruxed
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2013, 08:50 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Spent a short time out last night after work with my 6" refractor on the new to me NEQ6. Nice and stable what a great mount. Pentax 7mm XW and 9mm ES 100º with a Baader Semi APO filter was used, 11:30pm to 12:30 am. Seeing was pretty average, if that so I decided to look at the stars that make up the Southern Cross, and Pointers. I don't know about anyone else but have always looked at the 'pretty' stuff in and around, and there is plenty of that up there, but never at the actual stars themselves.
Earlier this year I split Sirius for the first time and that got me a bit more into double stars. To the Crux. Gacrux a beautiful combo, not a real double I read but a visual double...still looks nice! Onto Becrux beautiful, not to be side tracked to the Jewel Box sweep over to Delta Crusis...not a double....a bit of a let down, Acrux another twin set. Looked at the Pointers Hadar and Alpha Centauri. Need to spend a bit more on Hadar next time an interesting double.
An interesting short session. Why is Delta Crusis not called Decrux?
Matt
That's an area I visit quite often ...and Omega Centauri is nearby.
The Jewel Box has some nice colors in it...I can see what appears to me as a ' orange colored ' star near the middle....I am assuming that this is not a very hot star.....possibly a Main Sequence Star....much like our Sun.
A nice area to ' pan ' around for general enjoyment...I was using my TeleVue Pronto / 19mm Panoptic and a TMB 40mm Paragon Series Eyepiece.

Flash......