View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Bobbyoutback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Bobby,

In terms of splitting pairs (this also applies to all other visual applications), the difference between 150mm -v-152mm is about 2/3rds of 5/8ths of ...

The Dawes limit (approximation) difference between say 150mm and 165mm is 0.77 arc seconds -v- 0.70 arc seconds. In relatively small apertures, a small increase gives a pretty small gain. 150 -v- 152 is a minuscule difference.

Dawes limit approximation formula: R=11.6/D where D is the diameter of the aperture in centimetres.

So for example. with my 46cm f/4.9 Newtonian the Dawes limit is 0.25 arc-seconds. With the 63.5cm f/5 Newtonian, the Dawes limit is 0.18 arc seconds. Obviously enough, the seeing (virtually) never permits large apertures to approach their Dawes limit. It's a very, very rare night when the seeing is running at about 0.5 arc seconds or marginally better than that. 0.2 arc-seconds is probably something you might see in the Atacama Desert, maybe once every year or few.

I think I've seen seeing better (marginally) than 0.5 arc seconds three times in my observing career of nearly 50 years in NSW. It is a bit better here where I live now than Sydney (where I used to live) that normally has mediocre seeing and rarely good or very good. I think generally, the seeing in Broken Hill is going to be better than either where I live, or Sydney, but still only rarely approach 0.5 arc-seconds.

Best,

L.
Hi again Les ,

Top information , I do now understand there is stuff all visual advantage between apertures of small difference

Although i was familiar with Dawes limit what I didn't appreciate was how rare 0.5 arc-second seeing is .

I'm somewhat spoilt with so many nights of excellent seeing out this way ( Broken Hill area ) .

Many years back I was living & working in a tiny town called Silverton pop about 35 .
One night I was lucky to have still been outside in the early morning hours when the seeing went from very good to off the scale ''' I'll call it exquisite , extraordinarily magnificent viewing !
How good did it get ? I've asked myself Answer is ~ it only ever happened that once .

Cheers & Beers
Bobby