View Single Post
Old 23-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post

I think there will be a dial indicator in my future. I just had a thought about how I might square up the rotator adapter using a dial indicator. It is possible to mount the rotator backwards on the OTA since both dovetails are the same. If I mount the dial indicator on the OTA I could measure tilt as the rotator turns if it is put on backwards. Once it is square I can then reverse the rotator without disturbing the fitting to the OTA. I imagine this would be much more accurate than pointing a laser at a center spot. Do you imagine this as a reasonable procedure?

Regards,
Peter

Peter, if I'm understanding you correctly, I dont think this will work since the point where the dial indicator needle is, will or should be at the same height. In other words, tilt in the adapter has just added a constant offset. If you could put the dial indicator on one side then the other and noting the difference, it would work... but you'd have to move the dial indicator the exact same amount each time.

Another alternative is to mount the dial indicator on the cross slidd of a lathe, then put your adapter and rotator if you like, in the chuck. Now you can move the dial indicator around with the cross slide, knowing exactly how much you are moving it by looking at the measurements on the cross slide wheels. I did this with my previous focuser.

Josh

Last edited by Joshua Bunn; 23-07-2018 at 10:32 PM.