View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
glend (Glen)

Dunk your setup seems ok to me, and should work fine provided there is no flex in the assembly. As you have seen I use Metaguide and a ZWO guidescope with an ASI130 camera to guide my 8" newt and Canon DSLR. I had star trail problems at Bretti but I was trying to do 10 minute subs. I agree with the comment concerning guiding near the zenith but believe balance has much to do with it. You want some load on the mount as it climbs RA, or drops, so that it stays 'on the gears' so to speak. My rig was neutral balanced and that might be part of my probem. My subs looked great till I enlarged them in Photoshop and saw these little trails. I plan to run more 'weight' on RA balance, DEC I am not sure about yet. My star tails only went in one direction so I assume its RA. When looking at the graph what was it doing? . I am studying the Metaguide user manual now to work out tuning.

BTW I don't image when there is a noticable wind, but my newt may have a larger sail effect. Your tails could be nothing more than wind.

Last edited by glend; 01-10-2014 at 01:17 PM.