View Single Post
Old 25-11-2013, 05:28 AM
nebulosity. (Jo)

Thanks for all your comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
Jo, don't write off DSLRs too fast. They make an economical way to introduce a newbie to imaging in general and processing in particular. We who have been doing this for a while all know that there is as much art in the latter as the former and it does take a fair bit of patient learning. Also, it must be stressed, no DSLR or CCD is going to overcome inadequate guiding. So the beginner must confront the need to buy and use a dedicated guide scope and camera - at extra expense in dollars and learning curve. With a DSLR as an introductory camera, the newbie can afford a QHY5 and an OAG as well as a decent Canon or Nikon as well and for less than the cost of a dedicated CCD. This may sound a bit patronising but with a QHY8/9/10 or some other dedicated CCD, the novice can't use it to take happy snaps of the cat after a night of imaging stars.
Peter
Peter,
DSLR's are great, I use them for all my imaging, but the thing is, money isn't really an problem for this guy so thats why I thought he could jump in the deep end with a CCD. I have extra money alloted for the guiding/mount etc. Of course I'll put it to him and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
I agree with Peters comments. The only issue with DSLR's is that they tend to be noisy at warmer temperatures if uncooled.

It would be worth considering one of the modified cooled DSLR options (I believe jjj uses one with excellent results) from Central DS either the CDS1100 or CDS600D, both are close to your wishlist price.

http://www.centralds.net/cam/?produc...led-eos-600d-2

You haven't mentioned a mount or any other associated hardware, 1200mm F/L is going to need good alignment, tracking and guiding. The newt will also need some sort of corrector (e.g. MPCC) to get decent images.
As the price of a CDS cooled dslr is close to price of a 16 bit cooled QHY8 do you think dslr would be worth it?

As to the mount and guiding, I have ordered an iotron IEQ45 which has GPS to help out with the polar alignment, guiding is something I need to sort yet, know of any good guide cameras that work on a Mac? Something that could double as a planetary camera would be great.
Didn't think about having a corrector on a F6 newt would it really be that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
If you have a DSLR already I'd get a QHY9 mono. They're very good value.
Will look into a QHY9, just not sure if a mono would be the best for a beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
If you're already building him a telescope, you could mod and cool a DSLR for him.
Yes I could do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
He could get a brand new 1100D with 18-55 lens for $328;see if he enjoys DSLR astroimaging, and if not, he can sell it. A cheap way to dip his foot in the DSLR water. If he likes it, he could get it modded later.
If he does not intend to do wide angle imaging, he can get one body only for under $300.
raymo
Thanks for the figures Raymo, will certainly put it towards him

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Get what I got as I also have an 8" f6 Newt.
A QHY9 mono.

see link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2471943...in/photostream
Aha, that looks interesting, what guide camera have you got there? and what size filters? Looks like a tempting setup. Have you got any pictures taken with it?
And do you use any form of corrector?

Thanks everyone
Jo

Last edited by nebulosity.; 25-11-2013 at 06:25 AM.